Male Breast / Gynecomastia
- About Gynecomastia Liposuction
- Who Is the Ideal Candidate for Gynecomastia Liposuction?
- Gynecomastia Liposuction Recovery/Downtime
- Gynecomastia Liposuction Before and After Photos
- Below are before and after photos of gynecomastia patients:
- Gynecomastia Liposuction Cost and Financing
- Safe Liposuction
Gynecomastia, or enlarged male breasts (also known as “man boobs”), are an issue for many men today. A man’s masculinity is based in his chest, which is why many men feel a loss of self-confidence as a result of gynecomastia. At the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center, we make it possible for men to reclaim their masculinity by using a minimally invasive liposuction procedure that gently washes away excess fat cells. Gynecomastia liposuction surgery is fast, simple, and requires little downtime away from work and other activities.
As many as 50% of men in the United States today will develop gynecomastia at some point during their lifetime as a result of taking certain pharmaceuticals, hormone imbalance, obesity, genetic predisposition, or for other unknown reasons. The problem is often resistant to any efforts that a man makes to diet and exercise because besides excess fat, many men also have excess glandular tissue in the breasts that becomes noticeable even as they slim down. Male chest liposuction surgery removes the excess fat as well as glandular tissue to create a flat, firm, more masculine appearance to the chest.
About Gynecomastia Liposuction
At the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center, we use Water Lipo, a sophisticated liposuction technique that gently washes away fat using water rather than scraping away excess fat cells as surgeons have done in the past using traditional liposuction. Because the procedure is gentle and only minimally invasive, patients are able to do Awake Lipo and receive only local anesthesia and a sedative. Awake Lipo minimizes the risks involved with surgery and speeds the recovery process so that patients can quickly get back to their daily lives.
Gynecomastia liposuction surgery is performed on men of all ages. Even teenage boys can undergo male chest liposuction successfully. This procedure is the most consistently successful male breast reduction treatment available that offers long-lasting results. Patients regularly report that after surgery, they feel confident going shirtless after years of feeling insecure about their bodies. This sense of self-confidence is often life-changing with far-reaching positive effects in all domains of a man’s life.
Who Is the Ideal Candidate for Gynecomastia Liposuction?
The ideal candidate for male chest liposuction surgery using Waterlipo™ are men who feel self-conscious as a result of their male breasts. Before surgery, many of our patients at Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center, have reported that they avoid going to the beach or pool parties because of a fear of having to show their chest. Good candidates for this procedure are healthy men who do not suffer from a life-threatening illness or medical condition that could impede the healing process.
Gynecomastia correction with liposuction – male patient 48 years – before (left) – 5 weeks after (right)
Good candidates for gynecomastia liposuction include:
- Men who are within 30% of their ideal weight.
- Men who have localized fat deposits in their breasts that are resistant to diet and exercise.
- Men who have firm, elastic skin and excellent muscle tone.
It’s important that patients have realistic expectations about what this procedure can accomplish for them. During the initial consultation, patients have the opportunity to discuss their expectations with the doctor and develop realistic goals for the procedure. Men who exhibit positivity and have specific goals that they’d like to accomplish as a result of gynecomastia liposuction are ideal candidates for this procedure.
Male chest liposuction is not a weight loss procedure. The best candidates for this procedure are at a normal, healthy weight for their height. Pre-operative good health helps to ensure that patients will recover quickly, so patients should not be using drugs and they should not be smokers. Heavy alcohol use is also contraindicated in patients who are undergoing this procedure. Patients should avoid alcohol for at least a week before surgery and also during the recovery period.
Male breast development should be stabilized before the patient undergoes a liposuction procedure. Adolescents may be able to benefit from male breast reduction surgery using Water Lipo, but in the future, other secondary procedures may be necessary if breasts continue to enlarge.
Waterlipo™ is an extremely effective treatment for the majority of gynecomastia cases, but in a few cases of true gynecomastia, where there is an excess of glandular tissue and very little fat, the results of liposuction can be slightly limited, though in most cases, significant improvement is still possible. During the initial consultation, the doctor will examine you to determine what kind of results to expect from the procedure.
Gynecomastia Liposuction Recovery/Downtime
At the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center, our goal is to provide patients with the best results, the safest techniques, and the least amount of downtime.
Immediately following Waterlipo™ surgery, you’ll notice positive changes in your appearance, but it could take up to 6 months for the final results to become fully visible. Most of our patients at Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center recover fully within 4 to 6 weeks after their procedure depending on their self-care during recovery and their pre-surgical health condition. Still, most patients continue to see improvements in how they look for months after the Waterlipo™ surgery.
We recommend that patients take the first 48 hours after Waterlipo™ surgery to rest. It’s likely that during this time, you’ll feel some pain or tenderness in the treated area. Your surgeon will prescribe pain medications to make you more comfortable during this time period. Within a week, the pain will subside and if you have stitches, your doctor will be able to remove them. Within two weeks, many patients can resume most of their normal, daily activities.
How patients care for themselves during the recovery period is crucial to getting good results from gynecomastia liposuction surgery. In order to optimize the results of your surgery, we recommend that you pay close attention to the following:
- Follow a Healthy Diet -Following a healthy diet during the recovery period following Waterlipo™ surgery, can significantly enhance your results from the procedure. Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and avoid fast foods to load up on nutrients that will help your body heal properly and ensure positive results from the procedure.
- Drink Water -Drinking plenty of water during liposuction recovery will help your body flush out toxins, which is important, but water will also help your body accept the new changes that have been made to it. Staying hydrated makes it easier for body tissues to adapt and reconfigure themselves.
- Avoid Strenuous Activities -It’s important that the muscle and skin tissues that have been traumatized have a chance to heal fully before you do strenuous activities. Take some time off and avoid heavy lifting or rigorous exercise until your doctor gives you the green light to go back to your normal, daily routine.
- Wear Your Compression Garment As Prescribed -At Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center, we’ll provide you with a compression garment that you’ll need to wear for 24 hours a day for about 1 week while the tissues are healing. This garment provides support to the traumatized tissues and allows them to heal in the right position. You can remove the garment to shower, but otherwise, it’s important that you wear it both day and night for at least 7 days unless the doctor gives you permission to wear it for fewer hours per day.
- Take Prescribed Medication On Schedule -Our doctors at the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center may prescribe certain medications. Take these according to the prescribed schedule. Pain medication may be optional.
Gynecomastia Liposuction Before and After Photos
Using Waterlipo™ technologies, gynecomastia liposuction surgery can be customized to meet each patient’s unique needs. During the initial consultation with the patient, the surgeon will talk with the patient to learn about about the patient’s health history, their surgical goals, and other important information that can be used to develop a care plan to achieve the best results possible from surgery.
Below are before and after photos of gynecomastia patients:
Gynecomastia Liposuction Cost and Financing
In many cases, gynecomastia treatment is not covered by health insurance, but in some instances, it may be possible to get reimbursement for liposuction treatment as a reconstructive procedure. Review your health insurance policy and talk with our staff about the possibility of reimbursement for this procedure.
The Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center offers financing services through a variety of different lenders to make our procedures more affordable for our patients. By offering multiple lending options, we make it possible for just about anyone to afford treatment for gynecomastia. Patients can apply online for credit and then set up a payment plan that works for them.
The cost of gynecomastia treatment varies from one patient to the next and is calculated on the basis of various aspects of their treatment including:
- Medical tests
- Prescription medications
- Time required by the surgical team to perform the surgery
- How many areas of the body are treated during the same procedure
At the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center, we offer an array of different liposuction surgery options and we offer discounts for treating multiple areas of the body during the same liposuction procedure. For example, many men choose to do abdominal liposuction along with male chest liposuction to create a more pronounced final result. Many patients choose to treat more than one area of the body with liposuction in order to benefit from our special discounts and achieve a dramatic, whole-body change.
Waterlipo™ is a minimally invasive procedure that’s performed on thousands of patients every year without complication. But every surgical procedure poses some risk to the patient, so it’s important for patients to understand the potential risks involved with this type of procedure. If you’d like to learn more about Waterlipo™ Safety, please visit our Liposuction Safety page for more information.
Potential risks and complications that can develop as a result of undergoing this procedure include:
- Accumulation of fluid in the body:After liposuction surgery, some patients develop seromas under the skin. A seroma is a temporary pocket of fluid that’s drained using a needle. Seromas cause few long-term issues and treatment is relatively straightforward.
- Numbness or altered skin sensitivity:Patients sometimes develop temporary or permanent loss of skin sensitivity in the target area.Temporary nerve irritation is also possible. Patients often feel strange sensations on the skin as it’s healing. In particular, many patients report the sensation of itching as chest tissues are healing.
- InfectionWhen patients follow Dr. Joffrey’s instructions and take their prescription medications on schedule and follow his instructions regarding showers and bathing, infection is rarely an issue. However, the development of an infection is possible and a serious infection could be life-threatening.
- BleedingMost patients experience some mild bleeding after their procedure. Significant bleeding could require surgery to stop the blood loss.
- Internal punctureA cannula that penetrates too deeply could penetrate an organ. This could require surgical repair.
- Fat embolismA fat embolism is a medical emergency. During liposuction surgery, a piece of fat could loosen and break away from the surrounding tissues and travel to the lungs or the brain. If the fat gets lodged in a blood vessel that leads to one of these organs, emergency surgery is necessary.
- Kidney or heart problemsFluid levels shift inevitably during gynecomastia liposuction surgery. These changes in fluid levels can cause life-threatening heart or kidney issues.
- ScarringWe make only tiny incisions in the skin for gynecomastia liposuction, so scarring is unlikely, but despite this, some patients do still see scars after the procedure.
- NecrosisThe death of skin or fat tissues is most likely to happen in patients who smoke or use steroids. If necrosis develops, surgery is required.
- Contour IrregularitiesRarely, patients develop indentations, waves, or wrinkles in the targeted area. This can be corrected with surgery.
- SwellingIt’s rare, but some patients develop chronic inflammation after swelling. Using the compression garments as prescribed can help prevent the development of this problem.
- Risks Associated with AnesthesiaAt the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center, we use only AwakeLipo, a system that utilizes only local anesthesia and a powerful sedative. This combination of anesthetizing agents is much less risky than using general anesthesia. Because our patients are given AwakeLipo and as such, they’re aware and aware, but very relaxed, the procedure is much safer than if they were given general anesthesia.
- Muscle SpasmIn the initial days following surgery, muscle spasms are common. Massage can relieve the problem. Muscle spasms lessen and become less frequent within a few weeks after the liposuction procedure.