FUPA, Fat Upper Pelvic Area – Liposuction
The FUPA (Fatty Upper Pelvis Area) occurs in an area of the body just above the pubic bone. The fat in the upper pubic area can be particularly difficult and even impossible to target and remove with exercise and diet. For most people, a FUPA is caused by weight loss or a genetic predisposition to having extra fat deposits in the upper pubic area. Women who have been pregnant often have excess fat in the upper pubic area. It can be challenging to lose the excess FUPA fat through diet and exercise, but Waterlipo™ is one of the safest, gentlest treatment options available that reliably gets excellent results.
About FUPA, Fatty Upper Public Area
To treat the FUPA with liposuction, our surgeons use Waterlipo™ as a safe, gentle alternative to traditional liposuction. Waterlipo™ is a state-of-the-art liposuction technique that’s minimally invasive, has a short recovery time, and produces natural-looking results. Many of our patients at the Chicago Specialty Liposuction Clinic choose to combine upper pubic area liposuction with another procedure, like abdomen/tummy liposuction, to achieve dramatic contour changes. Different individuals who want FUPA liposuction may also need to have other kinds of liposuction to reach their overall cosmetic goals. Our surgeons will discuss options with you during a private consultation.
The procedure for FUPA liposuction takes 1-2 hours. With Water Lipo, our surgeons use the AwakeLipo anesthesia technique, which combines a mild sedative along with a local anesthesia applied to the treatment area. Patients who are anesthetized with AwakeLipo take a sedative to help them feel calm and completely relaxed during the procedure. Numbing agents are applied in the treatment areas using a local anesthetic. With the combined use of Waterlipo™ and AwakeLipo, patients are able to communicate easily with the surgical staff during the whole surgery, they feel very relaxed and comfortable, but still aware. Patients typically walk out of the clinic the same day immediately after their surgery.
Upper pubic area liposuction is a minimally invasive procedure that requires only 2 incisions, one in each groin crease on either side of the treatment area. Waterlipo™ uses cannulas that are only 3mm wide, meaning that the incisions are so small that they don’t even require stitches. The surgeons at the Chicago Specialty Liposuction Clinic are highly experienced professionals, and they make sure to individually evaluate every patient’s body in order to place the incisions in the most inconspicuous and effective locations possible.
In younger individuals, the skin in the FUPA region is usually supple and able to quickly re-adjust to the reduction of fat in the area. Older individuals and patients with less elastic skin may require laser lipo or another type of treatment after the Waterlipo™ procedure to ensure that the skin is smooth after the surgery. A pubic lift or a mini tummy tuck in the lower abdominal region can help eliminate sagging skin in the upper pubic area.
Who is the Ideal Candidate?
Both women and men can be candidates for upper pubic area liposuction. Young, slim women with a genetic disposition toward having a more pronounced FUPA may want to have upper pubic area liposuction to improve the way they look in revealing swimsuits or lingerie. Previously overweight individuals who have had abdomen/tummy liposuction or a tummy tuck can also benefit from upper pubic area liposuction because it can help create a even, balanced figure. Some men also struggle with fat excess in the FUPA area and can derive benefit from getting liposuction to remove fat from this region.
Good candidates for FUPA liposuction have excess fat in the upper pubic area. Like with all liposuction procedures, the ideal candidates for Waterlipo™ are healthy individuals with good lifestyle habits who have unwanted fat in one or more areas of their bodies. At the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center we often combine upper pubic area liposuction with other procedures that will compliment the reduction of fat in this body region.
Below are some specific types of patients who can benefit from upper pubic area/FUPA liposuction
- Patients who have recently lost a lot of weight.These individuals can have difficulty with fat reduction in the upper pubic area region. The combination of FUPA liposuction with a tummy tuck and/or laser lipo can help create a more sculpted physical appearance for these patients.
- Women who have been pregnant before.Pregnancy can cause overall weight gain, but it can also result in an overabundance of fat, particularly in the FUPA region. Liposuction for the upper pubic area can be a fantastic addition to a complete Mommy Makeover.
- Slim individuals both young and old with excess fat in the FUPA region.Some people have a surplus of fat in the upper pubic area due to genetic reasons. Patients who are generally slim, healthy, and fit but who continue to have problems with the FUPA are ideal candidates for Waterlipo™ in the upper pubic area.
Waterlipo™ is a gentle procedure that requires minimal recovery/downtime. It’s important for patients to make sure that they spend plenty of time each day resting and refraining from intense physical activity, but most patients can resume all normal daily practices within approximately 2 weeks after surgery. Light physical activity and exercise can be resumed within 2-3 days after the procedure, while gentle exercise can be safely done after 1 week of recovery. Patients can resume normal sexual activities after 1 week of recovery.
Waterlipo™ is a gentle procedure that takes very little time to recover from after surgery. Although it’s important that patients spend plenty of time each day physically resting and relaxing, most patients are able to get back to their daily routine very quickly.
During the recovery time after FUPA liposuction, the following are guidelines that patients should observe:
- Eat a healthy, balanced dietEating healthfully is important after any surgery, and liposuction is no exception. After upper pubic area liposuction patients should refrain from the consumption of fast food and other processed foods. Fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and nuts and seeds should be eaten either raw or steamed so that the body is able to effectively absorb nutrients from the food.
- Drink waterKeeping the body hydrated can speed up the healing process and help the body adapt to its new contours. Be sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water each day, and more if you feel thirsty.
- Wear the compression garmentsDuring the healing process, it’s extremely important that patients wear the compression garments recommended to them by our surgeons. Compression garments assist the body’s tissues in healing and reforming as the skin in the FUPA area adapts to a new shape. Wearing the compression garments will ensure that you get the best results from liposuction treatment.
- MassageThe upper pubic area is a tender region, so a gentle, daily massage can help accelerate healing for optimal results.
- Take any prescribed medicationsIf your surgeon prescribes medications for you to take, it’s important that you carefully follow the instructions for taking the medication. This helps prevent any possible complications and aids in the healing process.
Below are some of the most common recovery symptoms that FUPA liposuction patients experience:
- Swelling/bruising -The upper pubic area is a delicate area of the body, so swelling after the FUPA liposuction procedure is very normal. Swelling in this region may last for up to 30 days. Bruising is also typical after liposuction, and patients can expect to see some bruising which will gradually disappear over the course of the healing period.
- Discomfort in the upper pubic area -The FUPA may be sore for the first few days to a week after surgery. This discomfort resembles a moderate sunburn, and can be remedied with pain medications recommended by your surgeon.
- Changes in menstruation -Some women may experience menstruation changes after having upper pubic area liposuction.The recovery process differs from patient-to-patient. Every person’s body is different, and the requirements for complete recovery vary depending upon things like age, body shape, and the number of procedures done per session, among other factors.
FUPA Before and After Photos
The Waterlipo™ procedure for FUPA liposuction leads to spectacular results with the use of this safe and gentle new technology. Our surgeons at the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center will talk with you about your cosmetic goals for the procedure within the context of a pre-op consultation. Different patients may require different treatments, and our trained surgeons will recommend the best course of action for you so that you can achieve your desired results.
Below are before and after photos of patients who have received upper pubic area liposuction:
Liposuction Cost and Financing
Liposuction at the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center starts at $4,000, depending on the procedure(s) being performed. Our clinic has partnered with multiple lenders in order to make it possible for almost anyone to be able to get liposuction. One of our lenders, United Medical Credit, takes each patient’s unique financial situation into account when designing a customized monthly payment plan that features a fixed interest rate and no hidden fees.
The cost of FUPA liposuction varies according to a variety of factors, including (but not limited to):
- The amount of fat present in the upper pelvic area
- How many pre-op tests our staff performs before surgery
- The amount/type of medications prescribed or used during and after the procedure
- The amount of time it takes for the surgical team to perform the procedure
Combining multiple liposuction procedures together in the same surgical session will discount the cost of each individual procedure. Upper pelvic area liposuction is often combined with abdominal/tummy liposuction, thigh liposuction, or liposuction for the love handles/flanks. When liposuction is performed on more than one area of the body during the same surgery, patients save money as a result of special discounts that we offer at the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center.
Please visit our Basic Liposuction Cost Guide page for more information about financing options.
Liposuction done using Waterlipo™ is very safe and gentle. Waterlipo™ carries none of the risks associated with general anesthesia used in traditional liposuction because the procedure is carried out using AwakeLipo, a system that combines local anesthesia and mild sedation. The method used to perform traditional liposuction has a higher risk because special technologies that are used to perform Waterlipo™ make this procedure much gentler and safer. Waterlipo™ is an innovative new technology that’s minimally invasive and highly effective. Waterlipo™ requires little recovery time after surgery, and patients are able to leave the clinic almost immediately after their surgery.
For more information about the risks associated with upper pubic area liposuction using Water Lipo, please visit our Liposuction Safety page.Learn About Procedures Cost