Abdominal or Tummy Liposuction
Abdominal fat is a common cause of concern for many of our patients. Having excess fat in this area of the body can be a source physical discomfort as well as emotional anxiety and stress. On the other hand, the removal of excess fat from the abdominal/tummy region can lead to self-esteem improvements, as well as better overall health, and an enhanced motivation to follow a healthy lifestyle. Getting rid of unnecessary, excess tummy fat can be a significant step toward living a happier, healthier, and more comfortable life. Once patients rid themselves of excess weight in their mid-section, they often experience less back pain and feel physically more comfortable overall.
About your Chicago Liposuction procedure
At the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center we use a form of liposuction called Water Lipo. To anesthetize patients we use AwakeLipo, a numbing method that uses only a local anesthetic in the treatment area and a gentle sedative. The use of a local anesthetic to numb feeling in the treatment areas means that patients can remain awake during the entire procedure. Meanwhile, the mild sedative allows patients to relax completely during the procedure even though they’re still completely in control of their movements and speech.
There are two kinds of fat present in the abdominal region of the body:
- Subcutaneous fat – Also referred to as “superficial” fat, this kind of fat is present just below the surface of the skin. Liposuction can remove this kind of fat easily and safely. In fact, most abdominal/tummy liposuction procedures focus exclusively on the removal of subcutaneous/superficial fat.
- Deep fat – This kind of fat is located deep within the body in the abdominal cavity, and is also called “intestinal” fat. Liposuction cannot safely remove this kind of fat from the body. Intestinal fat can only be targeted through diet and exercise.
The Waterlipo™ procedure to remove subcutaneous fat in the abdominal/tummy region is safe and gentle. Unlike other procedures that aim to reduce fat in the same area of the body, Waterlipo™ is minimally invasive and produces fast results. Our surgeons use cannulas only 3mm wide to reduce the possibility of scarring or discomfort for the patient. In contrast, traditional liposuction and tummy tucks both require larger incisions and longer recovery times than Water Lipo, which means that patients have to wait longer and endure higher risks to see the final results of their surgery. The innovative, new WaterLipo method lets patients get back to their normal daily routine quickly, and after a comparatively short waiting period, patients see dramatic results.
The abdominal/tummy liposuction procedure can be completed in 1-2 hours. First, the patient receives a mild sedative pill to help them relax. Then, the patient’s abdominal region is completely numbed via a couple of small incisions; these small incisions also serve as the entry points for the cannulas. The incisions made during the Waterlipo™ procedure for the abdomen/tummy don’t require any stitches. During the procedure itself, the Waterlipo™ technique uses water pressure to dislodge and wash away fat in the abdomen/tummy region in a safe, gentle way.
Our doctors at the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center may sometimes recommend that patients get laser lipo or a tummy tuck in addition to the Waterlipo™ procedure. Patients who are older or who have a lot of excess weight may need additional surgeries to get rid of sagging skin after a significant volume of fat has been removed. A consultation gives patients the opportunity to discuss their personal goals, hopes, and concerns with our surgeons before the procedure takes place.
Who is the Ideal Candidate?
Good candidates for abdominal/tummy liposuction can be either men or women. Liposuction is an excellent choice for fat removal/reduction for both sexes, but because female fat is generally smoother and less fibrous than male fat, liposuction is generally a simpler, faster procedure on women. The results of male and female abdominal/tummy liposuction are distinct; men may be able to see muscle tone or even the coveted “six-pack” after Waterlipo™ while women can achieve a slimmer and more contoured appearance. Healthy lifestyle practices both before and after abdominal/tummy liposuction ensure that patients, both men and women, get the best long-term results possible.
Although almost anyone can benefit from abdominal/tummy liposuction, certain physical characteristics increase the likelihood that a patient will see excellent results from the procedure. The ideal candidate for this procedure includes:
- Patients who are free from debilitating illnesses
- Patients who are within 30% of their ideal weight
- Patients who lead reasonably healthy lifestyles
- Patients who do not smoke or drink heavily are some of the best candidates for liposuction surgery.
There are very few cases where liposuction is not recommended. The Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center doesn’t usually recommend WaterLipo for the abdominal/tummy area to patients with the following characteristics:
- Morbidly obese individuals – Waterlipo™ is not a weight loss treatment. Waterlipo™ is a technique used to remove only pockets of excess fat and to sculpt different areas of the body.
- Individuals with excessive fatty deposits in the abdominal cavity – Patients who possess excessive fat stores around their organs may not be able to fully achieve their desired cosmetic goals through liposuction alone. Liposuction can’t safely access fat located inside of the abdominal cavity; only exercise and a healthy diet can reduce fat in this area. Patients who have both subcutaneous and deep fat may still be good candidates for abdominal/tummy liposuction.
In contrast, the following are situations where our Waterlipo™ patients have achieved particularly good results:
- Young and old patients with an excess of subcutaneous fat – Patients whose fat stores are mostly superficial are likely to get the best results from abdominal/tummy liposuction. Different individuals may need different procedures to get the desired final results from the surgery, but all patients, regardless of age, can experience positive and significant changes from the abdominal/tummy liposuction procedure.
- Women who have been pregnant in the past – These women often experience excellent results from liposuction in the abdominal/tummy area. Because pregnancy can cause both a change to the structure of the abdominal area as well as weight gain, Waterlipo™ is the perfect option for women hoping to regain a smooth, sculpted physique after pregnancy.
- Women who have had a C-section or hysterectomy procedure – Sometimes, women who have undergone these procedures experience subcutaneous weight gain in the abdominal area just above the area of surgical incision. Liposuction easily removes this fat to restore women’s appearance quickly and effectively.
Abdominal/tummy liposuction helps many people get rid of excess fat and tone their bodies quickly and effectively. There is only a small minority of individuals who may not be able to take advantage of the benefits of Waterlipo™ surgery, but our doctors can help all patients find an alternative solution to reach their personal cosmetic goals.
Abdominal/tummy liposuction done with WaterLipo is very safe. WaterLipo is gentle, safe, and minimally invasive, meaning that patients often are able to walk out of the clinic the same day their procedure is completed. The Chicago Liposuction Specialty Clinic’s WaterLipo technique uses an AwakeLipo anesthetic method. During the procedure a tumescent, localized anesthesia is used to numb the treatment area and the patient is given a safe, mild sedative to help them relax. The use of a local anesthetic instead of a general anesthetic allows the patient to stay awake during the liposuction procedure and to have a faster recovery time. As an outpatient procedure, patients are generally able to go home under the care of a friend or family member immediately after abdominal/tummy liposuction.
The recovery time for abdominal/tummy liposuction can be anywhere from 4-12 weeks. The first 36-72 hours after treatment is the most uncomfortable part of recovery, since patients often experience soreness and generalized discomfort in the treated area. Activities that involve twisting, turning, or putting pressure on the abdominal area may require more careful execution in the first 3 days after surgery in order to minimize soreness. During this time, patients may take medication that’s been prescribed or recommended by our surgeons to help them manage discomfort.
All patients should observe the following guidelines for recovery after an abdomen/tummy liposuction procedure:
- Eat a healthy dietEating a healthy, well-rounded diet is one of the most important ways to take care of yourself after having a WaterLipo procedure for the abdominal/tummy region of the body. Consume plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in either a raw or steamed form to allow your body to easily digest the food and absorb vital nutrients. Avoid fast food and other processed foods. After any liposuction surgery, the continued observance of a healthy diet can enhance the long-term effects of the procedure, and in the case of abdomen/tummy liposuction this can be particularly important.
- Drink plenty of waterWater hydrates the skin, and will help tighten up skin tissues after liposuction. In addition, adequate hydration will ensure that internal organ processes continue to run smoothly so that the body can heal itself more quickly.
- Get enough restWaterlipo™ is a minimally invasive and gentle procedure, and many patients feel ready to return to work within a few days to a week after treatment. Patients who have abdomen/tummy liposuction surgery will be able to return to a light exercise workout within 4-6 days after the procedure with the doctor’s permission. Even though the recovery time for Waterlipo™ surgery is short, our surgeons still recommend that patients take enough time each day to relax and refrain from physical activity in order to be able to fully recover.
- Wear the compression garmentsThe Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center provides patients with compression garments after surgery. These compression garments are required for all patients in order to reduce swelling and support the body during the healing process. Compression garments must be worn at all times (except while showering) for 4-12 weeks after surgery.
- Follow the medication instructions given by your doctorOur surgeons may prescribe medication for patients after abdomen/tummy liposuction. It’s very important that patients carefully follow the doctor’s instructions for how to take this medication in order to minimize side effects from surgery. Pain medications may also be prescribed, but depending on the patient they may be optional.
- Change absorption pads and take care of incision sitesLeaks from incision sites are possible after abdomen/tummy liposuction, and the use of high-quality absorption pads can reduce discomfort caused by drainage. Gently cleaning the incision sites with soap and water 1-2 times daily will both minimize the chances of infection and help the incisions heal more quickly.Patients should avoid applying ice packs or heating pads to the liposuction-treated areas. Band-aids, hydrogen peroxide, and soaking in any kind of water (including baths) should also be avoided during the healing process.
Liposuction Cost and Financing
Liposuction procedures at the Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center start at $4,500 for an average-sized female. Depending on the amount of fat to be removed and the patient’s final goals for the cosmetic surgery, the cost for abdominal/tummy liposuction can vary. At our clinic, Waterlipo™ for the abdominal/tummy region can be paired with one or more liposuction procedures. We offer discounts to patients who decide to target more than one area of the body during the same surgical procedure. During a pre-op consultation with an experienced surgeon, the patient can discuss payment options and the possibility of targeting more than one body area during the first surgery session.
The total cost of abdominal liposuction surgery varies from patient-to-patient depending on several different factors including:
- Time required by the surgical team to complete the procedure
- The amount of fat to be removed
- The number and cost of pre-op lab tests that are required
- The number and type of prescription medications required by the patient
- Number and size of the areas of the body that are being targeted
The Chicago Liposuction by Lift Body Center has partnered with multiple lending providers, including United Medical Credit, to give patients access to a unique payment plan based off their personal financial situation. United Medical Credit’s monthly payment plans are fee-free and have fixed interest rates to allow patients to manage their finances efficiently after surgery. Payment options are available to almost everyone; achieving your ideal body is now accessible and achievable with our partners’ liposuction financing options.
Please visit our Basic Liposuction Cost Guide page for more information about financing options.
Explore Other Body Areas:
Safety of Abdominal & Tummy Liposuction
Waterlipo™ is a very safe and gentle procedure. Traditional liposuction, in comparison, poses more risk to the patient and can cause more post-op side effects than the technique used to perform Water Lipo. As a minimally invasive procedure performed under local anesthetic and sedation, Waterlipo™ is extremely safe, but there are still some risks involved. It’s important for the patient to understand what the potential risks of abdominal liposuction are.
For more information about the risks associated with abdominal liposuction using Water Lipo, please visit our Liposuction Safety page.Learn About Procedures Cost